About Transitional Compensation (TC)

The Transitional Compensation (TC) Program is a congressionally mandated program designed to provide temporary support, services and benefits for Family members who have experienced reported spouse or child abuse. Transitional Compensation is authorized per Army Regulation 608-1 for dependents of Soldiers who have been on active duty for more than 30 days and who, after November 1993 are—
(1)  Separated from active duty under a court-martial sentence that convicted the Soldier of a dependent-abuse offense;
(2)  Administratively separated from active duty if the basis for separation includes a dependent-abuse offense; or
(3)  Sentenced to forfeiture of all pay and allowances by a court-martial which convicted the Soldier of a dependent-abuse offense.   The TC Program seeks to encourage victims to report abuse without fear of loss of the sponsor’s financial and other support (such as medical care coverage) when a Soldier is separated for a family member related abuse offense.  Program services and support may serve as an intervention tool for families engaging in efforts to prevent further harm to the victim and affected family members, establish individual and family safety and well-being, and to disrupt the cycle of violence.  The TC Program entry is activated by a request for services from a dependent victim of abuse or a legal representative of a dependent victim (child).  A TC Program application is the tool untilized to record the request.  The request for TC Program benefits and services is initiated at the installation where the Soldier was assigned when the identified offense(s) occurred.  The Family member victim or their legal representive's (if a child) participation to establish the TC application packet is required. TC Program efforts are designed to assist victims as they experience transition to establish safe environments free of abuse and maltreatment.  The program introduces tools and resources to equip, empower and assist victims to become survivors.  For additional information or assistance regarding Transitional Compensation benefits and services, please contact the Army Community Service (ACS) Center, Family Advocacy Program (FAP) Victim Advocate Office or the Staff Judge Advocate (SJA), Victim Witness Liason (UVL) office at your Installation or the Installation nearest to you.    .