Transitional Compensation Program

Transitional Compensation (TC) Program for Abused Dependents

The Transitional Compensation (TC) Program is a congressionally mandated program designed to provide temporary support, services and benefits for Family members who have experienced reported spouse or child abuse. Transitional Compensation is authorized per Army Regulation 608-1 for dependents of Soldiers who have been on active duty for more than 30 days and who, after November 1993 are— 
  • (1) Separated from active duty under a court-martial sentence that convicted the Soldier of a dependent-abuse offense;
  • (2) Administratively separated from active duty if the basis for separation includes a dependent-abuse offense; or
  • (3) Sentenced to forfeiture of all pay and allowances by a court-martial which convicted the Soldier of a dependent-abuse offense.
The TC Program encourages victims to report abuse without fearing the loss of the sponsor’s financial and other support (such as medical care coverage) when a Soldier is separated for a Family member-related abuse offense.
A dependent victim of abuse or a legal representative of a dependent victim child can request entry into the TC Program by applying for it at the installation where the Soldier was assigned when the identified offense(s) occurred. The TC Program is designed to help victims as they transition to safe environments, free of abuse and maltreatment. The program introduces tools and resources to equip, empower and assist victims to become survivors.
There are two types of TC applications: Traditional and Exceptional Eligibility. An application is considered Traditional when the dependent abuse offense is specifically cited as a reason for the Soldier’s separation. An application is considered an Exceptional Eligibility (EE) request for approval when the Soldier separates for reasons other than dependent abuse, but there is documented evidence that dependent abuse occurred. For more information regarding the TC Program, please contact your installation Army Community Service Center, Family Advocacy Program Victim Advocate Office or the Staff Judge Advocate, Victim Witness Liaison Office.
For additional information or how to apply for Transitional Compensation benefits and services, please contact the Army Community Service (ACS) Center, Family Advocacy Program (FAP) Victim Advocate Office or the Staff Judge Advocate (SJA), Victim Witness Liaison (VWL) office at your nearest installation.

Transitional Compensation: Frequently Asked Questions

Transitional Compensation may be authorized for a spouse or former spouse of an active-duty Soldier (including same sex ) who has received official notification of an administrative separation or court-martial conviction (with a qualifying sentence) for domestic abuse, child abuse or child sexual abuse. Children of Soldiers residing in the home and children in utero at the time of the abuse may also qualify for TC.
Those not eligible for transitional compensation include children who were on a “visit” with the Soldier and were abused but who normally reside with another parent or custodian. Nieces, nephews or wards of the state that may be “dependents” while Soldier was on active duty. Girlfriends or boyfriends or their children, unless abuse occurred directly with the child and the child is a legal “dependent” of the Soldier and the child was permanently residing with the Soldier, only the child is eligible. Parents that lived in the home as “dependents” of the Soldier, as well as foster children, are also ineligible.
The TC Program offers benefits and entitlements for 12-36 months to eligible Family members. During the entitlement period, beneficiaries are entitled to the following:
  • Monthly payments based on the current monthly Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) rate
  • ID card
  • Commissary and exchange privileges
  • Medical care, including behavioral health services, as TRICARE beneficiaries
  • Dental care services may be provided in dental facilities of the Uniformed Services on a space available basis
Family members approved for TC are entitled to monthly payments. The amount of monetary benefits changes each year; check with your installation Transitional Compensation POC to verify monthly payment amounts. TC benefits are reported as income but are not taxable.
This scenario might fall under the category of “Exceptional Eligibility”. On 14 Apr 08, the Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness issued a Department of Defense Policy Memorandum, Exceptional Eligibility for Transitional Compensation for Abused Dependents. This memorandum authorizes the Secretary of the Army (SA) to review and approve cases in which a Soldier was separated from the Army for a non-dependent-abuse offense, even though the Soldier committed a dependent-abuse offense. Contact your installation Transitional Compensation POC (ACS Family Advocacy Program Victim Advocate (VA) or Staff Judge Advocate Victim Witness Liaison) to find out more information about whether you may be eligible for TC benefits under this new criteria.
Yes. If a spouse receiving payments remarries, payments cease as soon as of the date of the remarriage. If the Soldier cohabitates with the eligible spouse or child receiving compensation, payments will cease. Speak with your Transitional Compensation POC for more information.
Your installation ACS Family Advocacy Program Victim Advocate or the Staff Judge Advocate’s Victim Witness Liaison can help you in applying for TC benefits.
Transitional Compensation is just one of the resources available to support Family members affected by domestic violence. Your installation's ACS Family Advocacy Program has Victim Advocates available 24 hours a day/7 days a week to: • Provide non-judgmental support and crisis intervention
• Help develop a safety plan for you and your family
• Assist you with accessing a safe house and other emergency services
• Accompany you to a medical exam, investigative interview or court appearance
• Assist you in obtaining military and civilian protective orders
• Help you apply for Transitional Compensation It's important to remember that, as a victim of domestic violence, you are not alone. There are resources available to provide information and to help you make the best decisions for you and your family. Contact your ACS Family Advocacy Program to speak to a Victim Advocate.
Last modified: January 31, 2023 - 7:56 pm UTC