Relocation Readiness Program

Moving Made Easier

Relocation Readiness on U.S. Army MWR

The U.S. Army Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (the G9 Division of the U.S. Army Installation Management Command, known as Army MWR) manages programs and services that support readiness and resilience for Soldiers and Families. Its work enhances the lives of Soldiers, Families, Reservists, National Guard members, DoD Civilians, Retirees and the entire U.S. Army community.  Family and MWR Programs are delivered primarily through a local garrison or installation. To learn more about the resources available at your local garrison, visit the Army MWR website.

About the Relocation Readiness Program

Welcome to Relocation Readiness! Moving is a part of life for Soldiers, Government Civilians and their Families. The Army Community Service Relocation Readiness Program provides assistance to the Total Army Family. We are dedicated to ensuring our clients are capable of surviving and thriving through the Permanent Change of Station (PCS) and Expiration Time of Service (ETS) processes. We have developed this page to assist you in finding information and resources to make you more resilient and agile as you navigate your next move. Your first stop once you are notified of a pending PCS or ETS move should be your local Army Community Service (ACS) Center where you can meet with a Relocation Readiness Program Manager who will serve as a subject matter expert in assisting you through the process.

Relocation Readiness Resources

Each of the following pages will provide you with helpful information for every leg of your relocation journey:
In-Transit and Post-Arrival
Cultural Adaptation

Relocation Readiness Program Resources

  • Pre-Arrival information: Installations and surrounding areas provide information through Military OneSource, which also provides links to military installations.
  • Plan My Move: The Plan My Move pages on Military OneSource simplify the moving process. You can create a customized calendar based on your needs and schedule, and find driving directions and information about entitlements and out-of-pocket costs, schools and other local community resources. 
  • Household Goods Lending Closet: Many Installations keep basic household items for you to borrow for up to 30 days or until your HHG arrives to help you get settled. At a minimum, you’ll find things like pots, pans, dishes, silverware, cooking utensils, irons, ironing boards, and more.
  • Post-Move Newcomer Orientation: Provides information about your new installation, including housing, education, healthcare, and more. 
  • Welcome Packet: Most installations will provide you with a welcome packet that has maps (both on- and off-post) and important local contact information.
  • Individual Counseling: Your Relocation Readiness Program Manager can address specific issues with you one-on-one and give guidance and suggestions to help resolve any problems that may come along with your move. 
  • Sponsor: A sponsor is somebody from a Soldier’s new unit who is specially trained to help you settle into your new location. Most installations also have a Youth Sponsorship Program through Child and Youth Services. 
  • Citizenship and Immigration Services: Your Relocation Readiness Program Manager can act as a liaison when Families seek guidance on the citizenship and residency application process.

OCONUS Relocation Programs

  • Host Nation Orientation: Can help you better understand the local culture, language, transportation, and tourism offerings.
  • Re-Entry Workshops: Provided for transferees returning from overseas to the U.S. You’ll get information about the PCS process and procedures, finance entitlements, shipping household goods, port call, Family travel, legal assistance for claims, and shipping your automobiles and pets. 
  • Foreign Language and Foreign Cultural Information: Many Army Community Service (ACS) centers in OCONUS locations offer local language prorgams. Additionally, you can borrow foreign language CDs and learning materials to learn the language of the country where you will reside overseas. ACS centers can also help you translate bills and letters. 
  • Mandatory Overseas Orientations (Levy Brief): If you’re making a PCS overseas (Europe or Pacific), this workshop focuses on everything you’ll need to know about life overseas, including geography, climate, government, economy, language, recreation, family life, food, customs, and courtesies.

Relocation Special Support Groups

  • Hearts Apart (Waiting Families Program): If you or your spouse are serving an unaccompanied restricted PCS tour or extended temporary duty assignment (TDY), you can visit your local Relocation program to find support and resources during this stressful time.
  • Services for Multicultural Families: Provide information, assistance and support to all foreign-born spouses. There are also group activities like cooking classes, arts and crafts, and language classes.
Last modified: November 9, 2022 - 3:00 pm UTC